Updating the DMV with your new address

Most of us update USPS about change of address when we are moving temporarily or permanently to a new location. If we are moving permanently, it is equally important to update address with DMV (Driving motor vehicle) within 10 days of relocating. So go with change-of-address-online.com/addresschange/changeofaddress/ right away after your move.

If you are moving within or any other US state, by law you are supposed to inform DMV about change in address. If you moved to New York and failed to inform DMV about your address change, you will be charged $75.00 fine with an additional $85.00 surcharge as per New York’s Vehicle and Traffic Law Article 19 section 509-8 of states. If you are caught over speeding or breaking any other traffic law without updating your address, you will be charged fine for the traffic violation and on top of that you will be charged address change fine and surcharge.

Updating DMV will also help you to get your registration notices and any other driver related information. Moving and settling to new location is ranked one of the causes of stress, and I am sure you would not like to increase your relocation stress with financial burden because of failure to update new address with DMV. If you fail to notify DMV about address change due to one reason or another. Then, in this situation, it becomes very important to consult a New York traffic lawyer and notify DMV.

The process of notifying DMV is very simple compared to the implications of violating this legal requirement.

For most of the states, it is free to change your address in DMV records and you are not required to submit new documents with new address.

You only have to change the new address in DMV records to update information on your driver’s license, ID card, vehicle registration, and vehicle title.

In future, when you will renew your driver’s license/ID card and vehicle registration, new address will be displayed on renewed documents.

How to change address on DMV records:

1. You can change the address on DMV records online on DMV website of the state where you are moving,

2. Visiting office in person, or

3. Via mail.

To change address online, you have to register on DMV website.

You need to provide your Old address, new address and Vehicle registration information. You can also download the form and submit in person or by mail. Processing time for online application time is much shorter than submitting form in person or by mail. For most of the states, you will not be able to submit change of address application online if you:

  • Don’t have a driver’s license or ID card for same state where moving.
  • Don’t have a Social Security number (SSN).
  • Have a commercial driver’s license (CDL) from one state, but you live in another state.
  • Have an army or fleet post office address.
  • Have a non-US. address.

If you are registered to vote in the same state, DMV can also help you to notify the Secretary of State about your new address. You have to choose this option when applying for change of your address.

Make sure you update your records with DMV and spend your time on other constructive things rather than having stressful time in paying your fine and costly legal obligations of filing to change address in stipulated time frame. Keep moving with a smile! And ,Of course All the best for your new ventures.

Comments are closed.